At Innovative Vet Path, we take pride in the high quality of our diagnostic pathology readings, and the efficient, personable way in which we provide them. In the interest of promoting success in our specimen interpretations, we are happy to provide resources that outline optimal specimen preparation and submission.
In order to provide you with accurate interpretations in a timely fashion, we ask that you read the following resources, outlining proper preparation and submission processes. In addition to following these guidelines, we would like to note the importance of digital clinical photos to our process. Including in-focus, detailed photos of lesions and other irritations allows our pathologists to gain a comprehensive view of the problem, and can aid in faster, more-accurate interpretations.
How to Prepare and Submit Samples
Proper submission of samples is essential to an accurate, timely diagnosis. Please read the following guidelines before preparing your samples for submission.
Step 1: Complete Submission Form
- Please fill out Innovative Vet Path’s Submission Form carefully, and with as much detail as possible.
Step 2: History
- When submitting a specimen, be sure it is accompanied by a detailed clinical history, and any information relevant to the patient’s concerns
Step 3: Photos
- Along with a detailed clinical history and the specimen itself, we expressly request that you submit in-focus, detailed digital photographs of the area of concern. Clear, thorough high-resolution photography can increase accuracy and quicken turnaround of pathology interpretations.
Step 4: Preparing Samples
- Place specimen in formalin-filled specimen container. Unless the specimen is of unique size, a general volume ratio of 10:1 (10% neutral, buffered formalin to tissue) should be used for tissue fixation. Tighten the lid securely. Be sure to fill out the label completely, specifically including the animal name and the clinic from which the specimen is sent.
Step 5: Submission
- The specimen container should then be placed in a ziplock bag designed specifically for specimen storage. The ziplock bag itself should be tightly-sealed and contain absorbent material in case of spillage.
If you have specific questions about the submission of a unique specimen, please don’t hesitate to call us at Innovative Vet Path. We are happy to help you in order to increase the accuracy of our interpretations.
For our local clients in the Kansas City Metro area, we offer a convenient courier service for sample submissions. This method is fast, easy, and is designed to accommodate your office’s schedule. Be it weekly, daily, or as needed, our convenient courier service can pick up your submissions with care and efficiency. This pickup service is already included in the pathology fee, making it a simple, accurate way to provide your patients with an excellent service and elevated peace of mind. Call MAWD Pathology at (816) 241-3338 to schedule a pickup.
Innovative Vet Path is dedicated to accurate results that are provided quickly and efficiently. In order to uphold this value and elevate our clients’ satisfaction, we have partnered with Timeless Veterinary Software to streamline and simplify submission of patient history and specimen details. This software allows you to log in at any time in order to access a copy of a specific biopsy report, or to check on previous submissions.
For any and all reports, we must emphasize the importance of submitting high resolution clinical digital photographs when you are submitting a requisition in Timeless. Submitting clear photographs provides much-needed context, detail, and accuracy to each case we take on.
Once a report has been completed (again, ideally accompanied by high-quality clinical digital photographs), a copy will be emailed directly to the email address provided during the creation of the account. Timeless allows anyone to sign up from the login page, and has recently added a login option specifically for clinics.
For clinics checking results:
Once Dr. Trainor finalizes a report within Timeless, an email will be sent to the stored email address on file. This email will contain a link to a PDF version of the report, and will be available for download.
Clinics can access the report at any time by logging nto the Timeless system. Simply click “Patients” from the top menu bar, and search for the desired patient within the list. Any finalized reports concerning that patient will be available for access within the Timeless system.