Caution and variety are the keys to successful specimen collection for dermatopathology. The more material we have to observe (within reason), the better our chances are for accurate diagnosis. As you collect and handle biopsies, please follow these tips:
- Include any early, active, and advanced lesions as you select your specimens. At least 3 punch biopsy specimens are recommended.
- The crust of a lesion can provide valuable answers – please avoid scrubbing the surgical site and disturbing this important tissue.
- Use a fresh punch biopsy instrument, being careful to use a rotating motion in the same direction. A twisting, or “back and forth” motion is not recommended as it can compromise the sample.
- Handle all punch biopsy specimens gently. Damaging unfixed tissue or disturbing pustules can hinder our diagnoses.
- It is not uncommon for specimens to be sparsely-haired. In these cases (prior to collection of the biopsy), we ask that you draw an orientation line to mark the direction of the specimen’s hair growth.
Use our Convenient Courier Service
For our local clients in the Kansas City Metro area, we offer a convenient courier service for sample submissions. This method is fast, easy, and is designed to accommodate your office’s schedule. Be it weekly, daily, or as needed, our convenient courier service can pick up your submissions with care and efficiency. This pickup service is already included in the pathology fee, making it a simple, accurate way to provide your patients with an excellent service and elevated peace of mind. Call MAWD Pathology at (816) 241-3338 to schedule a pickup.